To sum it up, Revival is a return to the core values from which the online role playing game was born. The world of Theleston is fully-realized and complete, our touchstones, immersion, and player agency. We are uncompromising in the realization of our vision of a player-driven world alive with epic adventure. Revival is a world that never rests. It is always on, and always evolving. Every moment not spent in the world is one that you’re missing out on, but don’t worry, keeping up with Revival is always as close as your PC, tablet, or mobile device.
- Revival is an interactive persistent experience
- There is no static content in Revival
- Characters in Revival are more than their “builds”
- Players and the Storytelling team together decide the fate of the world
- Players can experience Revival in numerous ways, including via their phones or tablets - You are never too far away to play Revival
Game Design Theory
Revival’s game design is guided by the following principles and values:
- World First - Nothing goes into Revival that can detract from the experience of being in the game world of Theleston
- Everything Changes - There is no such thing as static content in Revival. What happened today will never happen the same way again; that day is done and a new one is coming.
- Legacy and History Matter - The world changes based on the actions of the players, generating new myths and legends for the world as time passes.
- Time does not equal success - While Revival does have an in depth RPG system, this is not a game bound to stats. A new player who is good at the combat game will succeed over a player who has been playing for years but is terrible at combat.
- Combat is just one activity - Combat is simply one aspect of a much larger game. A cunning merchant or an ingenious artisan can succeed without ever lifting a blade or drawing a bow.
- Roleplay > Roll Play - Revival is a game where your characters are meant to reflect the choices you make along the way, instead of a game where you choose what sort of character you are at the beginning. This means no classes and natural skill development over rigid classes and fixed progression paths.
Though Revival is a Free to Play game that will make money through transactions, we’ve spent a lot of time working out how to make sure Revival is not a “pay to win” style game. Our strategy for accomplishing this involves the following:
- Revival will use a currency called Standing Points (SP), that can be purchased or earned by participating in the world.
- SP can be used to purchase blessings or protections that make odious tasks simpler or prevent the worst case scenario from occurring.
- SP can be used as a “roleplaying” currency to further world events or otherwise influence non-combat areas of the game.
- SP cannot be used to purchase victory, or gear or any sort of combat advantage.
- Real money can be used to purchase SP or real estate (Such as houses or ships)
- Real money can also be paid in the form of a subscription to our gold servers, where live storytellers guide the game experience and work together with players to build custom content fit specifically to the state of that server’s world.